Goodnow ca. 1920. Goodnow was reportedly named after Count Goodnow of Tomahawk, He engaged in logging operations thruout the area about 1900 . Another theory is that the town was named after a Supt. Goodenow, who was a supervisor for the A.L. Langdon Co. from Minneapolis. They were the contractors building the railway in 1877. A sawmill was built on the Bearskin Creek, where the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railway crossed. The building in foreground was at various times, a dance hall, tavern, and store. It burned in 1969, when owned by Frank Erlitz. The original rail depot, water tower and siding was located just to the East (L) of this photo, on todays Pinewood Country Club.
A small portion of this building still remains along todays Bearskin Trail where it crosses today's Lakewood Road. This road, was originally State Hwy 10, from 1915-1925, when it became Federal Hwy 51. Hwy 51 was re-routed in 1936 about 1 mile to the West, along todays Hwy 51/39. It wasn't paved from Harshaw to Minocqua until 1940, due to lack of funds during the depression in the 1930's. The re-routed highway cut off 11 miles between Tomahawk and Minocqua, and many dangerous curves, according to newspaper articles at the time.